Monday, March 9, 2009

Matchstick Girl and Our Almost First Call to the Poison Control Center...

Well it finally happened... well close enough to happening that I momentarily panicked...

Now you can ask Dave if he watches Everly and he will say he does but his version of "watch" and my version of "watch" are two TOTALLY different things. When I watch Everly we play, we eat prepared food (like stuff that you have to cook or make like sandwiches), we watch movies, we have fun bath times, we dance, we talk etc.

When Dave watches Everly he plays video games, and lets her run around doing whatever she pleases and only if she cries or if it sounds like she is getting into something will he look for her to see what she has gotten herself into.

We have two different watching methods and while it DRIVES ME COMPLETELY INSANE he doesn't "do more" or "interact" more with her (except to keep her alive on just crackers, cereal, cookies and candies) he would argue he "is watching her" and "does interact with her").

Riiittttteeee [sic]

So tonight, I am working and he brings Everly down the hall in a hurry. He opens the office door and there she is hanging by his hands underneath her armpits and stretched out to me in a "hand-off-to-mom" fashion from Dave. She is in just a diaper (no socks, no sleeper, no clothes) with little chunks of red stuff around her mouth. She was as happy as a lark with a great big smile on her face (I would have taken pictures but I was working so you get generic pictures again for this post).

Dave then informs me she has been eating matches as evidenced by the red chunks around her face and the three wet matchsticks he found her with. GRREEEAAAATTTTT
So I ask: "Where did she get the matches?"
Dave says: "I don't know"
I say: "Well did you LOOK for them?"
Dave says "No"
I say: "She probably got them from the bathroom" (where we keep our matches)
...and he proceeds to go out to the living room to find our large box of matches now out in the living room. Of course she only ate the red stuff off and there is only a little on each match but she ate THREE, count them, THREE of them right in front of his nose and he didn't notice for awhile, APPARENTLY.

So I say, "well you better call poison control" but then he read on the box the matches were safe and non-toxic but I could have just RANG HIS NECK.

I love that man but I think most men just do NOT watch a child as well as a Mommy can. It just drives me nuts. I would so trade places with him and spend more time with her if I could but where we are at in life I have to work for now.

Anyways that is all for now... I will attempt step off my soapbox but nothing makes a mommy more mad than seeing her diaper-only (in WINTER) wearing daughter eating matches and knowing that daddy was on the computer playing video games while she did it!

GGGGGRRRRRRR!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment