Wednesday, August 24, 2011

**UPDATE** and a good one at that - YAY!!!!

(bad webcam photo of an actual 3D ultrasound photo taken last Tuesday the 23rd)

Okay here is the biggest and best update that we have been waiting for two days to hear back about. The diagnosis of IUGR has been taken back or reversed (*cautiously*) for now and my weekly appointments have been cancelled. 

Why? Turns out the Monday night before my appointment my MFM office updated all their software including their ultrasound machine software - what this did was reset everything on the ultrasound machines back to their standard default settings so the following morning when we had our "growth" ultrasound - they compared all the baby's measurements to the wrong growth chart thus giving us an extra low 6% "average". They use a different, custom and they say, more accurate, growth chart that had to be reloaded or setup once the update was done. No one caught this error until we went for our first weekly follow-up appointment this last Tuesday (23rd) and I asked the doctor what on the baby was measuring really small (overall growth? the head? legs? abdomen?) and she pulled up the ultrasound results and was looking at the baby's info and the baby's weight seemed kind of where it should be at this age (which she initially thought kind of strange for being 6% but brushed off) and none of the bodily measurements were super low and then she said "you know what... I wonder" and told us about the growth chart computer update issue. They didn't have time to rescan me ultrasound wise so they pulled up my measurements and compared them to the RIGHT chart and we got a call today the baby was really at 16% which is still small and still lower than 27% but not at IUGR levels - yet - thus I have bought more time and the baby seems to be doing well. 

So YAY!!! No preterm baby on the horizon for now unless preeclampsia rears its head or eventually she does end up with IUGR. Either way more weeks equals healthier baby and no pre-hospital admittance for me so I am happy for the time being!

Also two other exciting tidbits - turns out both my regular OB and high risk doctor have my "due date" as December 4th and 3rd thus I am (according to them) like 5 days further along than I have been telling people so that's like nearly getting a "bonus" week in pregnancy! Wooo Whoo!!!

Lastly I was told the latest I would be "going" is 39 weeks but most likely 37 weeks so for SURE no December baby or past due baby but I can easily take and be happy with a Thanksgiving baby ;)

1 comment: