Thursday, April 10, 2008

APRIL 10, 2008

Is anyone else shocked that we are in the month before MAY!??! Where does time go I ask you??? And how did my baby get to be a half a YEAR old?!

Well to catch up from last time, I had my gallbladder successfully taken out on March 19th. When the surgeon came out to talk to Dave he said I had lots of scar tissue which means that I have had attacks for apparently awhile (confirmation yet again I wasn't crazy - at least about that anyways ;-) .... healing has gone pretty good so I can't complain. My mom had come in to town to help watch Everly which was GREATLY appreciated and also made me not worry while I was out sick. A week after the surgery I started a second blood pressure medicine for my kidneys. That, however, has made my life hell. Besides being nonstop thirsty, I also feel like my arms are lead, I can't sit up or stand too long or I start to feel HORRIBLE, I get nauseous easy, I have NO energy, all I want to do is sleep and I almost passed out when I gave blood for one of my kidney tests on Wednesday (talk about embarrassing).

Honestly... it is/was almost like being pregnant again which made me about panic but today at my kidney doctor appointment I was told my blood pressure was 88/64. For those of you who aren't familiar with blood pressures this is *really* low which basically means my body was freaking out because of the 3 doses worth of blood pressure medicine they put me on to help my kidneys. I never even had high blood pressure to begin with so this last medicine just pushed me over the edge. I have been told to stop taking it immediately and eat a bag of chips! lol... I guess I need the salt to raise the blood pressure. That's probably the only time in my life I will be told to do that! I have been told I should start to feel better in a few days after it goes out of my system.

The really awesome, stupendous, completely cool news was though that the medicine *finally* is working and my protein count went from 1100+ down to 503 in about 3 weeks time which is really *really* good. I mean like "do a happy little jig" good. Now we just have to see if it will stay that way after discontinuing the 2nd blood pressure medicine. If it keeps up like this then I will probably get to avoid steroids for good all together which would be awesome!

About a week and a half after my surgery we took a week off and drove up to WA for 6 days and visited my side of the family, ate good food and went to the beach and then we flew to UT for about 3 days so Dave could have a birthday party with family down there. They were both super fun trips but we are glad to be back home. We don't plan on driving anywhere far for awhile now (kind of burnt out on that). But its always nice visiting with family so I cant complain. Also while we were down in Utah we got the autopsy results back and the coroner concluded that Dave's mom (Shelley) passed away from idiopathic myocarditis which basically means inflammation of the heart with no known cause. They said its usually caused by a viral infection but not much else was in the report. It brings closure in some ways but still overall sad.

Other than that we are doing well still (knock on wood) around our place. Dave's new form of entertainment is planning his "ultimate workout routine" which he keeps trying to drag me kicking and screaming in to. He pours over his workout books and tags pages with post-it notes that he wants to copy and talks and talks and talks about what he's going to do but we have yet to start anything. I am glad he's so motivated but feeling as crappy as I do that's the FURTHEST thing from my mind. When I can barely sit in a chair without feeling sick I don't want to even imagine lifting weights but someday I have faith we will get there. We would both like to be healthier and working out is something we need to add in for sure not only for our sake but for our daughter's sake. It's kind of interesting how kids cause you to change how you are so they have a better chance at being healthy in life too. Other than that he's about to turn 29 on tax day April 15th. That's one year away from 30 folks! Funny thing is the closer we get to 30 the less we care what our ages are but it does make us both really glad that we don't have to be 18-21 again.

Everly had her 6 month well baby visit yesterday and she's still growing huge. The kid is 16 pounds and 25 inches long. She is in about the 50th percentile for both height and weight so she has definitely caught up from being born early. The doctor asked how often she was eating "solid" foods and we said we weren't as dedicated to it as we could be and we only had her eating it a couple of days a week at best. He said it was okay for her to have it 3 or 4 times a DAY so we felt guilty and vowed we would try it more often. Plus she's really getting the hang of it and loves food like her parents. It cracks me up. The doctor also said he wouldn't be surprised if her bottom two teeth took another couple of months to come in. I don't know if it will be that long though because they seem really close when I feel them but I'm new at it so who knows. Funny story about that:

Tonight she has been just nothing but fussy. No temperature, could be the shots from yesterday or the teeth. So I go and put a few frozen strawberries in a mesh feeder and hand it to her to bite on. Now I have NEVER done this before but I heard frozen fruit helped with teething and some babies really enjoy it so I thought I would see what happened as a last resort to make her happier. Well she cautiously clamped her mouth down on the mesh a few times while giving us the "what are you poisoning me with?" face but then she picked up speed and really started chomping at it which then started defrosting the strawberries faster, which then caused red, drooly ooze to come from both her and feeder so we put a bib on her and wrapped her in a towel and Dave continued to give it to her. Then finally the mess just got to be too much and Dave pulled it away and said "Baby, I think that's enough" but the next thing he knew, Everly (who can not even sit up unassisted yet) leans forward, mouth open like a baby bird and arms out twitching/flapping and proceeds to lean in for more. Had Dave not caught her she would have face planted but it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny. We have never seen her do that but she wanted more and wasn't about to have Dave put it away just yet. Boy did we get a laugh out of that. It was so funny. He gave in and let her have a few more bites after that - how could he say no to a little bird covered in strawberry ooze!?

The excitement of children I tell you! I think that's about it for now but I will write more next month! Hope all is well with all of you reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment