Tuesday, November 11, 2008

NOVEMBER 11, 2008

Isn't it funny how fast time flies? I used to wonder why Everly's baby book only had spots to do monthly updates till 12 months old and now I know why. At first baby milestones are really obvious and easy to record but now things take longer to learn and merge into several months. Also by about 12 months old you find out that you have no time to do monthly updates and if you do try, your now 12+ month old baby, or should I say toddler, will now try to either eat her baby book or rip the pages out so now you must be covert about any baby book entries.

So what's new with the Popes since slacker Abby last updated?

Well Everly now has 4 teeth on top and two still on the bottom. The upper ones have dropped enough now that you can really see them when she smiles but they are still not 100% all the way down now. It seems like that aspect of it is taking forever. Upper teeth are SO slow moving. They took about 3 months to come in and now we wait for them to come all the way down. Everly has sure come along way since our last update in other ways too. She can now stand on her own for longer periods of time (usually until she realizes she has been standing, then panics and sits back down). She can crawl like a maniac, pull up super easy to objects and is getting a little better at cruising around things (meaning she holds on to objects and walks around or next to them). She has grown a lot taller lately too and now can reach stuff off our nightstands (like full glasses of milk or water that mom or dad inadvertently left on there and now end up on the floor and all of the bed thanks to Everly). She can also now pull stuff off the tops of cupboards and off the back end of the toilet. Speaking of toilet, she has learned how to "fish". Evert time I hear "slosh slosh slosh" from the back room I panic... then run in to find Everly playing happily in the toilet. Thankfully the only things she has put in the toilet (as far as I know) have been junk mail (which was going to be thrown away anyways) and my brand new wrist brace (at least it washes).

She loves water and loves to take bathes. If you are taking a bath she will come in and play in your water up to her armpits. She will also bring (really just drop) toys in your tub or other "fun" things like C-Batteries or instruction manuals to beard trimmers or parts of perfume bottles. She has even learned when you say "arms up" that she puts her arms up to get undressed for the tub. Its kind of funny to watch her "hop" and stomp her feet at the bath tubs edge when she wants to go in.

We are now feeding her almost anything she can fit into her mouth. She loves Cinnamon life cereal and bananas. She is a big fan of pear juice and is learning to drink out of adult cups and sippy cups. When she is crawling around or even in the tub she will find anything that could be used as a cup and hold it up to her mouth as if magical juice or milk will flow from it. I have caught her doing this several times which makes me laugh because she has the right idea but she seems to think any cup or container will work! I have seen her attempt to drink from a "creamer", the bathtub cup used to rinse her off, a snack holder, you name it... She cant really communicate vert well her wants but when she wants something to get or more of something or if she doesn't think you are giving something to her fast enough she starts grunting like a monkey make an almost yelling at you "OOOOOOOooOoOOoo" sound... I now know why they think we are descended from primates.

As for interests, Everly has learned to watch Disney movies with mom. I actually really like to watch dumb Disney movies and she will comply by sitting back and crossing her legs at her ankles and watches the movie with me. She loves keys and loves little boxes that open and close and any other small containers. She is fascinated with the blind's pull strings and more than once I have caught the handles of which in her mouth as a pacifier. She loves to open and close drawers and cupboards and loves to pull things off of stuff made into stacks. For example, when I have folded all the laundry she decides to methodically go down all my laundry piles and pull items off the top of the pile and fling them behind her. I have been able to detour her from eating dog food but I cant stop her from playing with it or the water bowl. She also shows great interest in the dishwasher and when I am loading the dishwasher she will see her bottles in the top rack and like clockwork I have to deal with a mini-meltdown as she attempts to pull the body of the bottles through the dishwasher rack because she thinks she needs them and yet she cant get them out herself.

She's a funny kid.

She can somewhat show affection now. We are working on giving kisses but right now its just us doing the kisses and her smiling. When she is trying to be loving she rams her head into your face. This creates sore noses, lips, chins etc... and sometimes she hits your head just right and you hit the headboard of the bed and then she starts to cry because it hurt her inadvertently. She loves to be kissed and "attacked" by eating her stomach, arms, neck, you name it. She is very very ticklish and loves a good chase. Everyone comments on how she is such a happy baby and for the most part she is. She loves to smile at people especially in stores she hams it up really good. She is not afraid of anyone. She may want back into her parents arms when she sees us nearby but that's only when she is acting bashful. She is accepting of all people and always has been. She always smiles and tries to touch people or put her fingers in their mouths as a friendly "how ya doin' " and she doesn't hesitate to smile at old ladies and elderly gentleman. I have found that older people really flock to her. We have had little old men come over to her and shake her hand or pat her on the head and she just smiles at them. A lot of them comment on how usually babies are afraid of old men or men with beards etc but not Everly.

Now on to the other members of the family.... Dave has really slacked on his marathon training lately. I think because school is getting more complicated, its getting colder out and life in general is running away with us. We are still going to the marathon so even if he has to be pulled across the line in a stretcher which might be more likely the case. He really needs to pick it up because we only have like 2 months to go until the time we leave but like I said, we are going none the less. Dave is getting DANGEROUSLY close to graduating. I think he has either 24 or 26 credits left to go so we are looking at Summer or next Fall at the latest for graduation. After that its up in the air as to where we go and what degree he goes for next. Its kind of exciting he is so close to getting done. He is getting burnt out and we are all needing a change of scene so this is nice to look forward too - FINALLY!

Then there is me, always the last to be updated on and usually the most boring part of our update. Nothing new. Absolutely nothing new except for the fact I am now on some mild chemo therapy drugs to help with my arthritis which honestly, after 8 weeks of taking it, I feel really really good on it. The last few weeks I have felt SO good and so normal *FINALLY*... I mean I haven't felt this good in since about August of 2006 so its just been really really nice. I don't know how long I will be on it or if it was just my body's timing or the drugs themselves that's brought upon these good feelings but I wont look a gift-horse in the mouth! Other than that I am just working on getting my body back in shape to THINK about more kids. It will be several more months at least before we think of that but we want at least one more so we shall see how that goes.

I am going to close for now because Dave and I have an extremely rare "date night" tonight... we are going out for Seafood and a movie (in the THEATER!!! *gasp*)... Everly is being watched overnight by our friends Jamie and Justin... I already miss her... she threw up on Dave before he dropped her off with Jamie and I guess his "goodbye" didn't go so well either.... as he described it... "she was reaching out to [Dave] with her peanut butter cracker in hand on the other side of the car window, with her pacifier in disarray and you could tell she was upset" as Jamie's car drove away...

Oh the joys of being a parent and the guilt trips they can work on you!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment